serf-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Schultz <Michael.Schu...@microfocus.com>
Subject RE: Please consider dropping scons
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2017 15:12:28 GMT
Yes, I patched the SConstruct for all these problems. I also ran into a problem where, even
though I had successfully build serf, when I tried the install of serf, I got an error with
a command line option on the cc command. The option looked something like:

-Wl,-rpath=/usr/local/apr

Which the native HP-UX command did not like at all. (Unfortunately, HP-UX wants to place the
complete pathname in its shared libraries, so one can’t build them and then copy them to
their installation. Thus, libtool, and I guess SCons, rebuilds the libraries with a new destination
directory. I think it’s a security thing, but I digress.) To fix this, in the Environment,
I just placed RPATHPREFIX=’-L’. I was not able to figure out why the install worked differently
from the build.

It is hard for me to say that configure is a superior solution though. I just ran the build
on Subversion and configure is totally messing up one of the the –with parameters. So, another
problem to solve.

Mike S

From: Greg Stein [mailto:gstein@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 7:50 PM
To: Michael Schultz <Michael.Schultz@microfocus.com>
Cc: dev@serf.apache.org
Subject: Re: Please consider dropping scons

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 3:47 PM, Michael Schultz <Michael.Schultz@microfocus.com<mailto:Michael.Schultz@microfocus.com>>
wrote:
I must admit I had a "I'm not going to let this defeat me" moment this morning and learned
enough about SCons to fix the SConstruct script. The first problem: There was no PATH at all
in the environment, so no wonder it couldn't find the C compiler.

Wow. That is really weird. I'm assuming you got this solved? Patched SConstruct, or something
else?

Second problem: I built libz and installed it in a local directory, and the UNIX bversion
of the SERF SConstruct didn't set ZLIB's include and lib into CPPPATH and LIBPATH.

Looks like SConstruct has a ZLIB variable available for Windows builds, but it assumes the
system include and lib directories otherwise. Seems we should obey ZLIB (and OPENSSL, etc)
if they are specified on any platform.

Third problem: expat was included as a library, which I again only installed locally, but
EXPAT/lib wasn't included in LIBPATH.  (In fact, there was no way to specify the directory
for EXPAT.)

Yeah... Expat is a dependency of apr-util, so serf isn't concerned with it. I'm going to guess
there is a problem with apu-1-config producing some incorrect results. Maybe an RPATH issue
somewhere? (I'm not familiar enough with HP-UX to know if that concept is supported)

Cheers,
-g