shindig-users mailing list archives

From Justin Wyllie <justinwyl...@hotmail.co.uk>
Subject Implementing userPrefs
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2010 10:53:16 GMT

Hi
I'm looking for a steer around preferences.
Shindig seems to work like this:
Set: I found that if I called Gadgets.Prefs.set from my gadget it made an rpc call to the
container for the set_pref handler but on the way set the Gadgets.Prefs values in the gadget.
Calling my  setUserPref method directly in the container obviously did not do this.
Get: gadgets.Prefs.getString() (for example) will look in the prefs object and if that is
not set will get the default_value.
Taking this as a base it would seem that the main thing that needs to be added is to set the
Gadgets.Prefs values both at page load and when setUserPref is called from my edit settings
block.
iGoogle seems to implement this differently:
Set: saves it to the backend and modifies the iframe url parameters.Get: gets it from the
url parameters.
So the difference seems to be - should we store the Prefs values a) in the Gadgets.prefs object
or b) on the url?
I'm really looking for advice if I'm on the right track and what anyone recommends.
Thanks
Justin
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/197222280/direct/01/