shindig-users mailing list archives

From "Ciancetta, Jesse E." <jc...@mitre.org>
Subject RE: Client side usage of Shindig?
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2011 15:04:29 GMT

You do need to build the page with the iframes yourself but for generating the iframe URL's
I think you have a couple of options.  I believe Shindig has an endpoint built in which can
generate iframe URL's for you (part of what the RpcServlet mapped to /gadgets/metadata does
if I recall) or you can generate them yourself which is relatively straight forward to do.
 You can probably find some nice examples of this in the common container code that ships
with Shindig, or have a look at OSEC for a Java based example (http://code.google.com/p/osec)
or Partuza for a PHP based example (http://code.google.com/p/partuza/).

>2.) Is the containerlayout (title, toggle link, etc.) just an example in
>the sample page and should I produce it myself with html? Or are there
>skinning possibilities and a default container (client side)?

I think any code that ships with Shindig that does this sort of stuff is just a sample.  Look
at the projects referenced above for more complete implementations.

>3.) Whats the rpc_dely.html about and are there examples?

The rpc_relay.html file is used by the gadgets.rpc code as a transport to pass messages between
iframes that run on different domains -- I believe it is actually used as a last resort when
all better methods of cross domain RPC fail.  The gadgets.rpc code is really well implemented
and heavily commented -- have a look here for additional details:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/shindig/trunk/features/src/main/javascript/features/rpc/rpc.js

>Any hints would be great.
>I used this:
>https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SHINDIG/The+rough+guide+to+d
>eploying+shindig  - which is good but rough.
>
>I think my main problem is I don’t understand if Apache Shindig is just
>the container or has some Client & UI related parts (beside the example
>HTMLs).

Shindig is just the backend -- I believe any container related code that ships with Shindig
currently is either meant to be a sample or a starting point for a more complete implementation.