shindig-users mailing list archives

From Justin Wyllie <justinwyl...@hotmail.co.uk>
Subject RE: Security Tokens
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 13:48:58 GMT

Hi Doug
I don't know if this helps or is the correct way but what we did was log the user in on our
main server using the usual authentication mechanism and then built our own token using the
same libraries which I'd copied across from the shindig server to our main one. I just found
the code in shindig which builds a token and copied that basically. This token I then built
onto the url of the gadget iframes (which we were rendering on the server - but this would
work if you were rendering them client-side as well as you could just pass the token as a
Javascript variable) and now when the iframe was rendered in the page and made a call to the
shindig server the token was on the url - decoded by Shindig and validated.
Justin

> Subject: RE: Security Tokens
> Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 09:35:18 -0400
> From: daviesd@oclc.org
> To: users@shindig.apache.org
>
> Agustin,
>
> In my case the shindig server does not have access to the session.  It's in a different
domain/host.  So I'm looking for the correct way to communicate the current user to the shindig
server.  I thought this would happen on the metadata call via the st param.  The server would
then use this to generate st tokens for return on the iframe urls.  Then any subsequent requests
from the gadgets would pass this along so that the server has some key (userid/viewer) to
use for things like appdata, userprefs, etc.  Again... I might be totally confused on this.
 It just seems I have to have some way to tell the container who I am and all I have is the
shindig javascript apis to do this with.