spark-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Desruisseaux <martin.desruisse...@geomatys.fr>
Subject Re: Needs a matrix library
Date Sun, 08 Sep 2013 20:23:55 GMT
Thanks all for the tips. So if I'm summarizing right:

  * Hama and Spark are designed for distributed computing. Given that
    our need is for small matrices (usually no more than 5x5),
    distributed computing would probably be too much. However I keep
    Hama and Spark in mind for the SIS "Grid Coverage" (or Raster)
    processing part, to come later.
  * JBlas seems to be JNI wrappers around LAPACK and BLAS Fortran
    libraries. For small matrix, the JNI cost may be larger than the
    benefit. I will keep JBlas in mind for some computations that
    require large matrix, but those computations are not expected to
    occur in the "referencing" part of SIS.
  * Other libraries under compatible license include Apache Commons Math
    [1] and JAMA [2].

Given that Apache Commons is a large library (the JAR file is 1.6 Mb)
while JAMA is very small and focused on Matrix only (a 36.5 kb file), I
would be tempted to propose JAMA. Is there any though on that?

     Martin

[1] http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-math/
[2] http://math.nist.gov/javanumerics/jama/