spark-dev mailing list archives

From "Liu, Raymond" <raymond....@intel.com>
Subject RE: Scala 2.10 Merge
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2013 08:42:24 GMT
Hi Patrick

	What does that means for drop YARN 2.2? seems codes are still there. You mean if build upon
2.2 it will break, and won't and work right? Since the home made akka build on scala 2.10
are not there. While, if for this case, can we just use akka 2.3-M1 which run on protobuf
2.5 for replacement?

Best Regards,
Raymond Liu

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Wendell [mailto:pwendell@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2013 4:21 PM
To: dev@spark.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Scala 2.10 Merge

Hi Developers,

In the next few days we are planning to merge Scala 2.10 support into Spark. For those that
haven't been following this, Prashant Sharma has been maintaining the scala-2.10 branch of
Spark for several months. This branch is current with master and has been reviewed for merging:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-spark/tree/scala-2.10

Scala 2.10 support is one of the most requested features for Spark - it will be great to get
this into Spark 0.9! Please note that *Scala 2.10 is not binary compatible with Scala 2.9*.
With that in mind, I wanted to give a few heads-up/requests to developers:

If you are developing applications on top of Spark's master branch, those will need to migrate
to Scala 2.10. You may want to download and test the current scala-2.10 branch in order to
make sure you will be okay as Spark developments move forward. Of course, you can always stick
with the current master commit and be fine (I'll cut a tag when we do the merge in order to
delineate where the version changes). Please open new threads on the dev list to report and
discuss any issues.

This merge will temporarily drop support for YARN 2.2 on the master branch.
This is because the workaround we used was only compiled for Scala 2.9. We are going to come
up with a more robust solution to YARN 2.2 support before releasing 0.9.

Going forward, we will continue to make maintenance releases on branch-0.8 which will remain
compatible with Scala 2.9.

For those interested, the primary code changes in this merge are upgrading the akka version,
changing the use of Scala 2.9's ClassManifest construct to Scala 2.10's ClassTag, and updating
the spark shell to work with Scala 2.10's repl.

- Patrick