spark-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Wendell <pwend...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 0.9.0-incubating (rc5)
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2014 20:45:52 GMT
Hey Stephen,

Yes this runs afoul of good practice in Maven where a given version
shouldn't be re-used. As far as I understand though, it is required by
the way the Apache release process works.

The artifacts and repository content that get voted on need to exactly
match the final release. So we can't hold a vote on a version of the
code where everything says "-rcx", then we go back and change the
source code and do a second push to maven with code that doesn't have
an "-rcx" suffix. This would effectively change the code that is being
released.

I was thinking as a work around that maybe we could publish a second
set of staging artifacts that are versioned with -rcX for people to
test against. I think as long as we make it clear that these are not
the "official artifacts" being voted on it might be okay. I'm not
totally sure if this is allowed though.

- Patrick