spark-dev mailing list archives

From DB Tsai <dbt...@stanford.edu>
Subject Re: Int tolerance in LBFGS.setConvergenceTol causes problems
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2014 03:07:22 GMT
Hi Gang,

This is a bug, and I'm the one who did it :) Just add the comment to your PR.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

DB Tsai
My Blog: https://www.dbtsai.com
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/dbtsai

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 7:13 PM, Gang Bai <baigang@staff.sina.com.cn> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I am implementing a regression model for count data which uses LBFGS for parameter estimation.
Following the patterns in mllib.regression, I created an object PoissonRegressionModelWithLBFGS,
which creates a new instance of class PoissonRegressionModelWithLBFGS and invokes the run
method to get the weights/parameters.

> The implementations are straightforward. But I encountered a problem while using class
LBFGS. The parameter of setConvergenceTol is of type Int rather than Double. This leads to
the inability to specify a tolerance less than 1.0 and a type mismatch error when passing
a Double value. In fact, the class LBFGS internally uses convergenceTol as a Double var. So
we can safely change the parameter of setConvergenceTol from type Int to type Double.