spark-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Nishkam Ravi <nr...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Reproducible deadlock in 1.0.1, possibly related to Spark-1097
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2014 23:10:33 GMT
HI Patrick, I'm not aware of another place where the access happens, but
it's possible that it does. The original fix synchronized on the
broadcastConf object and someone reported the same exception.


On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 3:57 PM, Patrick Wendell <pwendell@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Nishkam,
>
> Aaron's fix should prevent two concurrent accesses to getJobConf (and
> the Hadoop code therein). But if there is code elsewhere that tries to
> mutate the configuration, then I could see how we might still have the
> ConcurrentModificationException.
>
> I looked at your patch for HADOOP-10456 and the only example you give
> is of the data being accessed inside of getJobConf. Is it accessed
> somewhere else too from Spark that you are aware of?
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-10456
>
> - Patrick
>
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 3:28 PM, Nishkam Ravi <nravi@cloudera.com> wrote:
> > Hi Aaron, I'm not sure if synchronizing on an arbitrary lock object would
> > help. I suspect we will start seeing the ConcurrentModificationException
> > again. The right fix has gone into Hadoop through 10456. Unfortunately, I
> > don't have any bright ideas on how to synchronize this at the Spark level
> > without the risk of deadlocks.
> >
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 3:07 PM, Aaron Davidson <ilikerps@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> The full jstack would still be useful, but our current working theory is
> >> that this is due to the fact that Configuration#loadDefaults goes
> through
> >> every Configuration object that was ever created (via
> >> Configuration.REGISTRY) and locks it, thus introducing a dependency from
> >> new Configuration to old, otherwise unrelated, Configuration objects
> that
> >> our locking did not anticipate.
> >>
> >> I have created https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/1409 to hopefully
> fix
> >> this bug.
> >>
> >>
> >> On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Patrick Wendell <pwendell@gmail.com>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> > Hey Cody,
> >> >
> >> > This Jstack seems truncated, would you mind giving the entire stack
> >> > trace? For the second thread, for instance, we can't see where the
> >> > lock is being acquired.
> >> >
> >> > - Patrick
> >> >
> >> > On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 1:42 PM, Cody Koeninger
> >> > <cody.koeninger@mediacrossing.com> wrote:
> >> > > Hi all, just wanted to give a heads up that we're seeing a
> reproducible
> >> > > deadlock with spark 1.0.1 with 2.3.0-mr1-cdh5.0.2
> >> > >
> >> > > If jira is a better place for this, apologies in advance - figured
> >> > talking
> >> > > about it on the mailing list was friendlier than randomly
> (re)opening
> >> > jira
> >> > > tickets.
> >> > >
> >> > > I know Gary had mentioned some issues with 1.0.1 on the mailing
> list,
> >> > once
> >> > > we got a thread dump I wanted to follow up.
> >> > >
> >> > > The thread dump shows the deadlock occurs in the synchronized block
> of
> >> > code
> >> > > that was changed in HadoopRDD.scala, for the Spark-1097 issue
> >> > >
> >> > > Relevant portions of the thread dump are summarized below, we can
> >> provide
> >> > > the whole dump if it's useful.
> >> > >
> >> > > Found one Java-level deadlock:
> >> > > =============================
> >> > > "Executor task launch worker-1":
> >> > >   waiting to lock monitor 0x00007f250400c520 (object
> >> 0x00000000fae7dc30,
> >> > a
> >> > > org.apache.hadoop.co
> >> > > nf.Configuration),
> >> > >   which is held by "Executor task launch worker-0"
> >> > > "Executor task launch worker-0":
> >> > >   waiting to lock monitor 0x00007f2520495620 (object
> >> 0x00000000faeb4fc8,
> >> > a
> >> > > java.lang.Class),
> >> > >   which is held by "Executor task launch worker-1"
> >> > >
> >> > >
> >> > > "Executor task launch worker-1":
> >> > >         at
> >> > >
> >> >
> >>
> org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.reloadConfiguration(Configuration.java:791)
> >> > >         - waiting to lock <0x00000000fae7dc30> (a
> >> > > org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration)
> >> > >         at
> >> > >
> >> >
> >>
> org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration.addDefaultResource(Configuration.java:690)
> >> > >         - locked <0x00000000faca6ff8> (a java.lang.Class for
> >> > > org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configurati
> >> > > on)
> >> > >         at
> >> > >
> >> >
> >>
> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.HdfsConfiguration.<clinit>(HdfsConfiguration.java:34)
> >> > >         at
> >> > >
> >> >
> >>
> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DistributedFileSystem.<clinit>(DistributedFileSystem.java:110
> >> > > )
> >> > >         at
> >> sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native
> >> > > Method)
> >> > >         at
> >> > >
> >> >
> >>
> sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.
> >> > > java:57)
> >> > >         at
> >> sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native
> >> > > Method)
> >> > >         at
> >> > >
> >> >
> >>
> sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.
> >> > > java:57)
> >> > >         at
> >> > >
> >> >
> >>
> sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAcces
> >> > > sorImpl.java:45)
> >> > >         at
> >> > java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:525)
> >> > >         at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:374)
> >> > >         at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:327)
> >> > >         at
> >> > java.util.ServiceLoader$LazyIterator.next(ServiceLoader.java:373)
> >> > >         at java.util.ServiceLoader$1.next(ServiceLoader.java:445)
> >> > >         at
> >> > >
> org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.loadFileSystems(FileSystem.java:2364)
> >> > >         - locked <0x00000000faeb4fc8> (a java.lang.Class for
> >> > > org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem)
> >> > >         at
> >> > >
> >> org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.getFileSystemClass(FileSystem.java:2375)
> >> > >         at
> >> > >
> org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.createFileSystem(FileSystem.java:2392)
> >> > >         at
> >> org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.access$200(FileSystem.java:89)
> >> > >         at
> >> > >
> org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem$Cache.getInternal(FileSystem.java:2431)
> >> > >         at
> >> > org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem$Cache.get(FileSystem.java:2413)
> >> > >         at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.get(FileSystem.java:368)
> >> > >         at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.get(FileSystem.java:167)
> >> > >         at
> >> > >
> org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobConf.getWorkingDirectory(JobConf.java:587)
> >> > >         at
> >> > >
> >> >
> >>
> org.apache.hadoop.mapred.FileInputFormat.setInputPaths(FileInputFormat.java:315)
> >> > >         at
> >> > >
> >> >
> >>
> org.apache.hadoop.mapred.FileInputFormat.setInputPaths(FileInputFormat.java:288)
> >> > >         at
> >> > >
> org.apache.spark.SparkContext$$anonfun$22.apply(SparkContext.scala:546)
> >> > >         at
> >> > >
> org.apache.spark.SparkContext$$anonfun$22.apply(SparkContext.scala:546)
> >> > >         at
> >> > >
> >> >
> >>
> org.apache.spark.rdd.HadoopRDD$$anonfun$getJobConf$1.apply(HadoopRDD.scala:145)
> >> > >
> >> > >
> >> > >
> >> > > ...elided...
> >> > >
> >> > >
> >> > > "Executor task launch worker-0" daemon prio=10
> tid=0x0000000001e71800
> >> > > nid=0x2d97 waiting for monitor entry [0x00007f24d2bf1000]
> >> > >    java.lang.Thread.State: BLOCKED (on object monitor)
> >> > >         at
> >> > >
> org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.loadFileSystems(FileSystem.java:2362)
> >> > >         - waiting to lock <0x00000000faeb4fc8> (a java.lang.Class
> for
> >> > > org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem)
> >> > >         at
> >> > >
> >> org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.getFileSystemClass(FileSystem.java:2375)
> >> > >         at
> >> > >
> org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.createFileSystem(FileSystem.java:2392)
> >> > >         at
> >> org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.access$200(FileSystem.java:89)
> >> > >         at
> >> > >
> org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem$Cache.getInternal(FileSystem.java:2431)
> >> > >         at
> >> > org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem$Cache.get(FileSystem.java:2413)
> >> > >         at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.get(FileSystem.java:368)
> >> > >         at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem.get(FileSystem.java:167)
> >> > >         at
> >> > >
> org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobConf.getWorkingDirectory(JobConf.java:587)
> >> > >         at
> >> > >
> >> >
> >>
> org.apache.hadoop.mapred.FileInputFormat.setInputPaths(FileInputFormat.java:315)
> >> > >         at
> >> > >
> >> >
> >>
> org.apache.hadoop.mapred.FileInputFormat.setInputPaths(FileInputFormat.java:288)
> >> > >         at
> >> > >
> org.apache.spark.SparkContext$$anonfun$22.apply(SparkContext.scala:546)
> >> > >         at
> >> > >
> org.apache.spark.SparkContext$$anonfun$22.apply(SparkContext.scala:546)
> >> > >         at
> >> > >
> >> >
> >>
> org.apache.spark.rdd.HadoopRDD$$anonfun$getJobConf$1.apply(HadoopRDD.scala:145)
> >> >
> >>
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message