spark-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Dennis <graham.den...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [SPARK-2878] Kryo serialisation with custom Kryo registrator failing
Date Thu, 14 Aug 2014 07:53:46 GMT
Hi Reynold,

That would solve this specific issue, but you'd need to be careful that you
never created a serialiser instance before the first task is received.
 Currently in Executor.TaskRunner.run a closure serialiser instance is
created before any application jars are downloaded, but that could be
moved.  To me, this seems a little fragile.

However there is a related issue where you can't ship a custom serialiser
in an application jar because the serialiser is instantiated when the
SparkEnv object is created, which is before any tasks are received by the
executor.  The above approach wouldn't help with this problem.
 Additionally, the YARN scheduler currently uses this approach of adding
the application jar to the Executor classpath, so it would make things a
bit more uniform.

Cheers,
Graham

On 14 August 2014 17:37, Reynold Xin <rxin@databricks.com> wrote:

> Graham,
>
> Thanks for working on this. This is an important bug to fix.
>
> I don't have the whole context and obviously I haven't spent nearly as
> much time on this as you have, but I'm wondering what if we always pass the
> executor's ClassLoader to the Kryo serializer? Will that solve this problem?
>

> On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 11:59 PM, Graham Dennis <graham.dennis@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Deb,
>>
>> The only alternative serialiser is the JavaSerialiser (the default).
>>  Theoretically Spark supports custom serialisers, but due to a related
>> issue, custom serialisers currently can't live in application jars and must
>> be available to all executors at launch.  My PR fixes this issue as well,
>> allowing custom serialisers to be shipped in application jars.
>>
>> Graham
>>

>> On 14 August 2014 16:56, Debasish Das <debasish.das83@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry I just saw Graham's email after sending my previous email about
>>> this bug...
>>>
>>> I have been seeing this same issue on our ALS runs last week but I
>>> thought it was due my hacky way to run mllib 1.1 snapshot on core 1.0...
>>>
>>> What's the status of this PR ? Will this fix be back-ported to 1.0.1 as
>>> we are running 1.0.1 stable standalone cluster ?
>>>
>>> Till the PR merges does it make sense to not use Kryo ? What are the
>>> other recommended efficient serializers ?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> Deb

at

 This