spark-dev mailing list archives

From "Hari Shreedharan" <hshreedha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Moving PR Builder to mvn
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2014 20:55:10 GMT
I have zinc server running on my mac, and I see maven compilation to be much better than before
I had it running. Is the sbt build still faster (sorry, long time since I did a build with
sbt).

Thanks,
Hari

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 1:46 PM, Patrick Wendell <pwendell@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Overall I think this would be a good idea. The main blocker is just
> that I think the Maven build is much slower right now than the SBT
> build. However, if we were able to e.g. parallelize the test build on
> Jenkins that might make up for it.
> I'd actually like to have a trigger where we could tests pull requests
> with either one.
> - Patrick
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 1:39 PM, Hari Shreedharan
> <hshreedharan@cloudera.com> wrote:
>> Over the last few months, it seems like we have selected Maven to be the "official"
build system for Spark.

>> I realize that removing the sbt build may not be easy, but it might be a good idea
to start looking into that. We had issues over the past few days where mvn builds were fine,
while sbt was failing to resolve dependencies which were test-jars causing compilation of
certain tests to fail.

>> As a first step, I am wondering if it might be a good idea to change the PR builder
to mvn and test PRs consistent with the way we test releases. I am not sure how technically
feasible it is, but it would be a start to standardizing on one build system.