spark-dev mailing list archives

From Mridul Muralidharan <mri...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release Scala version vs Hadoop version (was: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 1.3.0 (RC3))
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2015 12:34:50 GMT
In ideal situation, +1 on removing all vendor specific builds and
making just hadoop version specific - that is what we should depend on
anyway.
Though I hope Sean is correct in assuming that vendor specific builds
for hadoop 2.4 are just that; and not 2.4- or 2.4+ which cause
incompatibilities for us or our users !

Regards,
Mridul

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 2:50 AM, Sean Owen <sowen@cloudera.com> wrote:
> Yes, you should always find working bits at Apache no matter what --
> though 'no matter what' really means 'as long as you use Hadoop distro
> compatible with upstream Hadoop'. Even distros have a strong interest
> in that, since the market, the 'pie', is made large by this kind of
> freedom at the core.
>
> If tso, then no vendor-specific builds are needed, only some
> Hadoop-release-specific ones. So a Hadoop 2.6-specific build could be
> good (although I'm not yet clear if there's something about 2.5 or 2.6
> that needs a different build.)
>
> I take it that we already believe that, say, the "Hadoop 2.4" build
> works with CDH5, so no CDH5-specific build is provided by Spark.
>
> If a distro doesn't work with stock Spark, then it's either something
> Spark should fix (e.g. use of a private YARN API or something), or
> it's something the distro should really fix because it's incompatible.
>
> Could we maybe rename the "CDH4" build then, as it doesn't really work
> with all CDH4, to be a "Hadoop 2.0.x build"? That's been floated
> before. And can we remove the MapR builds -- or else can someone
> explain why these exist separately from a Hadoop 2.3 build? I hope it
> is not *because* they are somehow non-standard. And shall we first run
> down why Spark doesn't fully work on HDP and see if it's something
> that Spark or HDP needs to tweak, rather than contemplate another
> binary? or, if so, can it simply be called a "Hadoop 2.7 + YARN
> whatever" build and not made specific to a vendor, even if the project
> has to field another tarball combo for a vendor?
>
> Maybe we are saying almost the same thing.
>

> On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 1:33 AM, Matei Zaharia <matei.zaharia@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yeah, my concern is that people should get Apache Spark from *Apache*, not from a
vendor. It helps everyone use the latest features no matter where they are. In the Hadoop
distro case, Hadoop made all this effort to have standard APIs (e.g. YARN), so it should be
easy. But it is a problem if we're not packaging for the newest versions of some distros;
I think we just fell behind at Hadoop 2.4.

>> Matei
>>
>>> On Mar 8, 2015, at 8:02 PM, Sean Owen <sowen@cloudera.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yeah it's not much overhead, but here's an example of where it causes
>>> a little issue.
>>>
>>> I like that reasoning. However, the released builds don't track the
>>> later versions of Hadoop that vendors would be distributing -- there's
>>> no Hadoop 2.6 build for example. CDH4 is here, but not the
>>> far-more-used CDH5. HDP isn't present at all. The CDH4 build doesn't
>>> actually work with many CDH4 versions.
>>>
>>> I agree with the goal of maximizing the reach of Spark, but I don't
>>> know how much these builds advance that goal.
>>>
>>> Anyone can roll-their-own exactly-right build, and the docs and build
>>> have been set up to make that as simple as can be expected. So these
>>> aren't *required* to let me use latest Spark on distribution X.
>>>
>>> I had thought these existed to sorta support 'legacy' distributions,
>>> like CDH4, and that build was justified as a
>>> quasi-Hadoop-2.0.x-flavored build. But then I don't understand what
>>> the MapR profiles are for.
>>>
>>> I think it's too much work to correctly, in parallel, maintain any
>>> customizations necessary for any major distro, and it might be best to
>>> do not at all than to do it incompletely. You could say it's also an
>>> enabler for distros to vary in ways that require special
>>> customization.
>>>
>>> Maybe there's a concern that, if lots of people consume Spark on
>>> Hadoop, and most people consume Hadoop through distros, and distros
>>> alone manage Spark distributions, then you de facto 'have to' go
>>> through a distro instead of get bits from Spark? Different
>>> conversation but I think this sort of effect does not end up being a
>>> negative.
>>>
>>> Well anyway, I like the idea of seeing how far Hadoop-provided
>>> releases can help. It might kill several birds with one stone.

behind or don't want to package everything, so that's why we put out releases for vendors'
versions. It's fairly low overhead.

Hadoop

HDP can

Scala