spark-dev mailing list archives

From Cheng Lian <lian.cs....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IntelliJ Runtime error
Date Sat, 04 Apr 2015 12:46:27 GMT
I found in general it's a pain to build/run Spark inside IntelliJ IDEA.
I guess most people resort to this approach so that they can leverage
the integrated debugger to debug and/or learn Spark internals. A more
convenient way I'm using recently is resorting to the remote debugging
feature. In this way, by adding driver/executor Java options, you may
build and start the Spark applications/tests/daemons in the normal way
and attach the debugger to it. I was using this to debug the
HiveThriftServer2, and it worked perfectly.

Steps to enable remote debugging:

1. Menu "Run / Edit configurations..."
2. Click the "+" button, choose "Remote"
3. Choose "Attach" or "Listen" in "Debugger mode" according to your
actual needs
4. Copy, edit, and add Java options suggested in the dialog to
`--driver-java-options` or `--executor-java-options`
5. If you're using attaching mode, first start your Spark program, then
start remote debugging in IDEA
6. If you're using listening mode, first start remote debugging in IDEA,
and then start your Spark program.

Hope this can be helpful.

Cheng