spark-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Contributor CLAs
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2015 01:11:21 GMT
Yeah, this is why this pops up when you open a PR:
https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

Mostly, I want to take all reasonable steps to ensure that when
somebody offers a code contribution, that they are fine with the ways
in which it actually used (redistributed under the terms of the AL2),
whether or not they understand the intricacies. In good faith, I'm all
but sure that all contributors either think they're giving the
contribution to the project anyway, or at least, do understand it to
be their own work licensed under the same terms as all of the project
contributions are.

IANAL, but in stricter legal terms, the project license is plain and
clear, and the intricacies are signposted and easy to read when you
contribute. You would have a very hard time arguing that you made a
contribution, didn't state anything about the license, but did not
intend somehow that the work could be licensed as the rest of the
project is. For reference Apache projects do not in general require a
CLA.