spark-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Unit test logs in Jenkins?
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2015 12:04:51 GMT

>> Potentially an issue with the test runner, rather than the tests themselves.
>
> Sorry, that was me over-generalizing. The output is generally fine,
> except for certain classes of tests (especially those that need to
> fork a child process or even multiple processes). In those cases, most
> of the interesting output ends up in logs, and the error reported by
> scalatest is very generic.
>
> --
> Marcelo

I've been seeing (and remember, I've only recently started playing with funsuite), that the
logs go to target/unit.log; edit log4j.properties to go to stdout and they go to stdout -but
they don't go into the surefire logs. That is, the test runner isn't generating the classic
<junit> XML report with its sections of stdout and stderr. While that format has its
limitations, and you can certainly do better (ideally every log level event should be captured;
let you turn them on/off, pull in threads, correlate timestamps across machines, etc, etc),
having Junit & jenkins reports which include all the output logs testcase-by-testcase
is pretty foundational. Maybe there's some way to turn it on that I haven't seen.