spark-dev mailing list archives

From "Yan Zhou.sc" <Yan.Zhou...@huawei.com>
Subject 答复: 答复: Package Release Annoucement: Spark SQL on HBase "Astro"
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2015 22:58:54 GMT
Finally I can take a look at HBASE-14181 now. Unfortunately there is no design doc mentioned.
Superficially it is very similar to Astro with a difference of
this being part of HBase client library; while Astro works as a Spark package so will evolve
and function more closely with Spark SQL/Dataframe instead of HBase.

In terms of architecture, my take is loosely-coupled query engines on top of KV store vs.
an array of query engines supported by, and packaged as part of, a KV store.

Functionality-wise the two could be close but Astro also supports Python as a result of tight
integration with Spark.
It will be interesting to see performance comparisons when HBase-14181 is ready.

Thanks,

From: Ted Yu [mailto:yuzhihong@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 3:28 PM
To: Yan Zhou.sc
Cc: Bing Xiao (Bing); dev@spark.apache.org; user@spark.apache.org
Subject: Re: 答复: Package Release Annoucement: Spark SQL on HBase "Astro"

HBase will not have query engine.

It will provide better support to query engines.

Cheers

On Aug 10, 2015, at 11:11 PM, Yan Zhou.sc <Yan.Zhou.sc@huawei.com<mailto:Yan.Zhou.sc@huawei.com>>
wrote:
Ted,

I’m in China now, and seem to experience difficulty to access Apache Jira. Anyways, it appears
to me  that HBASE-14181<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-14181> attempts
to support Spark DataFrame inside HBase.
If true, one question to me is whether HBase is intended to have a built-in query engine or
not. Or it will stick with the current way as
a k-v store with some built-in processing capabilities in the forms of coprocessor, custom
filter, …, etc., which allows for loosely-coupled query engines
built on top of it.

Thanks,