spark-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 1.5.1 (RC1)
Date Thu, 24 Sep 2015 17:51:00 GMT
On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 6:45 PM, Richard Hillegas <rhilleg@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> Under your guidance, I would be happy to help compile a NOTICE file which
> follows the pattern used by Derby and the JDK. This effort might proceed in
> parallel with vetting 1.5.1 and could be targeted at a later release
> vehicle. I don't think that the ASF's exposure is greatly increased by one
> more release which follows the old pattern.

I'd prefer to use the ASF's preferred pattern, no? That's what we've
been trying to do and seems like we're even required to do so, not
follow a different convention. There is some specific guidance there
about what to add, and not add, to these files. Specifically, because
the AL2 requires downstream projects to embed the contents of NOTICE,
the guidance is to only include elements in NOTICE that must appear
there.

Put it this way -- what would you like to change specifically? (you
can start another thread for that)

>> My assessment (just looked before I saw Sean's email) is the same as
>> his. The NOTICE file embeds other projects' licenses.
>
> This may be where our perspectives diverge. I did not find those licenses
> embedded in the NOTICE file. As I see it, the licenses are cited but not
> included.

Pretty sure that was meant to say that NOTICE embeds other projects'
"notices", not licenses. And those notices can have all kinds of
stuff, including licenses.