spark-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Yu <yuzhih...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: PSA: JIRA resolutions and meanings
Date Sat, 08 Oct 2016 14:47:35 GMT
I think only committers should resolve JIRAs which were not created by himself / herself.

> On Oct 8, 2016, at 6:53 AM, Hyukjin Kwon <gurwls223@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am uncertain too. It'd be great if these are documented too.
>
> FWIW, in my case, I privately asked and told Sean first that I am going to look though
the JIRAs
> and resolve some via the suggested conventions from Sean.
> (Definitely all blames should be on me if I have done something terribly wrong).

>> That makes sense, thanks.
>>
>> One thing I've never been clear on is who should be allowed to resolve Jiras.  Can
I go clean up the backlog of Kafka Jiras that weren't created by me?

>> If there's an informal policy here, can we update the wiki to reflect it?  Maybe
it's there already, but I didn't see it last time I looked.

>> On Oct 8, 2016 4:10 AM, "Sean Owen" <sowen@cloudera.com> wrote:
>> That flood of emails means several people (Xiao, Holden mostly AFAICT) have been
updating the status of old JIRAs. Thank you, I think that really does help.

>> I have a suggested set of conventions I've been using, just to bring some order to
the resolutions. It helps because JIRA functions as a huge archive of decisions and the more
accurately we can record that the better. What do people think of this?

>> - Resolve as Fixed if there's a change you can point to that resolved the issue
>> - If the issue is a proper subset of another issue, mark it a Duplicate of that issue
(rather than the other way around)
>> - If it's probably resolved, but not obvious what fixed it or when, then Cannot Reproduce
or Not a Problem
>> - Obsolete issue? Not a Problem
>> - If it's a coherent issue but does not seem like there is support or interest in
acting on it, then Won't Fix
>> - If the issue doesn't make sense (non-Spark issue, etc) then Invalid
>> - I tend to mark Umbrellas as "Done" when done if they're just containers
>> - Try to set Fix version
>> - Try to set Assignee to the person who most contributed to the resolution. Usually
the person who opened the PR. Strong preference for ties going to the more 'junior' contributor

>> The only ones I think are sort of important are getting the Duplicate pointers right,
and possibly making sure that Fixed issues have a clear path to finding what change fixed
it and when. The rest doesn't matter much.