spark-dev mailing list archives

From Saikat Kanjilal <sxk1...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: File JIRAs for all flaky test failures
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2017 20:24:19 GMT
I was working on something to address this a while ago https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-9487
but the difficulty in testing locally made things a lot more complicated to fix for each of
the unit tests, should we resurface this JIRA again, I would whole heartedly agree with the
flakiness assessment of the unit tests.

[SPARK-9487] Use the same num. worker threads in Scala ...<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-9487>
issues.apache.org
In Python we use `local[4]` for unit tests, while in Scala/Java we use `local[2]` and `local`
for some unit tests in SQL, MLLib, and other components. If the ...

________________________________
From: Kay Ousterhout <kayousterhout@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 12:10 PM
To: dev@spark.apache.org
Subject: File JIRAs for all flaky test failures

Hi all,

I've noticed the Spark tests getting increasingly flaky -- it seems more common than not now
that the tests need to be re-run at least once on PRs before they pass.  This is both annoying
and problematic because it makes it harder to tell when a PR is introducing new flakiness.

To try to clean this up, I'd propose filing a JIRA *every time* Jenkins fails on a PR (for
a reason unrelated to the PR).  Just provide a quick description of the failure -- e.g., "Flaky
test: DagSchedulerSuite" or "Tests failed because 250m timeout expired", a link to the failed
build, and include the "Tests" component.  If there's already a JIRA for the issue, just comment
with a link to the latest failure.  I know folks don't always have time to track down why
a test failed, but this it at least helpful to someone else who, later on, is trying to diagnose
when the issue started to find the problematic code / test.

If this seems like too high overhead, feel free to suggest alternative ways to make the tests
less flaky!

-Kay