spark-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Allman <mich...@videoamp.com>
Subject Method for gracefully terminating a driver on a standalone master in Spark 2.1+
Date Thu, 04 May 2017 23:15:16 GMT
Hello,

In performing our prod cluster upgrade, we've noticed that the behavior for killing a driver
is more aggressive. Whereas pre-2.1 the driver runner would only call `Process.destroy`, in
2.1+ it now calls `Process.destroyForcibly` (on Java 8) if the previous `destroy` call does
not return within 10 seconds. (Commit in which this change was made: https://github.com/apache/spark/commit/1c9a386c6b6812a3931f3fb0004249894a01f657
<https://github.com/apache/spark/commit/1c9a386c6b6812a3931f3fb0004249894a01f657>)

In light of this change, is there still a way to gracefully kill a spark driver running on
a standalone cluster that takes longer than 10 seconds to die gracefully? For example, if
we have a streaming job with 1 minute batches we want a much longer timeout before force-killing
a driver. We'd rather do a `kill -9` ourselves—if necessary—so we can control the termination
procedure.

Thank you.

Michael