spark-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Disabling Closed -> Reopened transition for non-committers
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2017 10:38:05 GMT
It's a losing battle which you need to deal with socially rather than through the tooling...if
the user is unhappy then at best they don't use the code, don't contribute in future, at worse:
they keep filing the same JIRA. I'll add a comment

In hadoop we've ended up creating a wiki page added as a link when closing things as an invalid,
usually with a polite let down "sorry"

https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/InvalidJiraIssues

and a video to go into detail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaJlRk5aTRQ

There's something to consider though: how can error reporting be improved? Especially for
people new to a system?

Serialization errors are ubiquitous in spark when you call RDDs with unserializable data;
the first thing people learn when they start writing them is "this stack trace means I'm invoking
something which can't go over the wire". So: how to help people over the hump there? catch
& wrap with a pointer to some docs. For networking, feel free to use
org.apache.hadoop.net.NetUtils#wrapException , where the links to wiki entries are lists of
"common causes of these networking issues" are a checklist for everyone; the real facts of
hostnames and ports are there for tracking things down.  The core Java io networking errors
are without meaningful information, so it's up to the layers above to fix.

On 5 Oct 2017, at 03:51, Sean Owen <sowen@cloudera.com<mailto:sowen@cloudera.com>>