Ah yes - I recall that it was fixed. Forgot it was for 2.3.0

My +1 vote stands.

On Fri, 6 Oct 2017 at 15:15 Hyukjin Kwon <gurwls223@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Nick,

I believe that R test failure is due to SPARK-21093, at least the error message looks the same, and that is fixed from 2.3.0. This was not backported because I and reviewers were worried as that fixed a very core to SparkR (even, it was reverted once even after very close look by some reviewers).

I asked Michael to note this as a known issue in https://spark.apache.org/releases/spark-release-2-2-0.html#known-issues before due to this reason.
I believe It should be fine and probably we should note if possible. I believe this should not be a regression anyway as, if I understood correctly, it was there from the very first place.


2017-10-06 21:20 GMT+09:00 Nick Pentreath <nick.pentreath@gmail.com>:
Checked sigs & hashes.

Tested on RHEL
build/mvn -Phadoop-2.7 -Phive -Pyarn test passed
Python tests passed

I ran R tests and am getting some failures: https://gist.github.com/MLnick/ddf4d531d5125208771beee0cc9c697e (I seem to recall similar issues on a previous release but I thought it was fixed).

I re-ran R tests on an Ubuntu box to double check and they passed there.

So I'd still +1 the release

Perhaps someone can take a look at the R failures on RHEL just in case though.

On Fri, 6 Oct 2017 at 05:58 vaquar khan <vaquar.khan@gmail.com> wrote:
+1 (non binding ) tested on Ubuntu ,all test case  are passed.

Vaquar khan

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 10:46 PM, Hyukjin Kwon <gurwls223@gmail.com> wrote:
+1 too.

On 6 Oct 2017 10:49 am, "Reynold Xin" <rxin@databricks.com> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 11:24 PM, Holden Karau <holden@pigscanfly.ca> wrote:
Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version 2.1.2. The vote is open until Saturday October 7th at 9:00 PST and passes if a majority of at least 3 +1 PMC votes are cast.

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache Spark 2.1.2
[ ] -1 Do not release this package because ...

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see https://spark.apache.org/

The tag to be voted on is v2.1.2-rc4 (2abaea9e40fce81cd4626498e0f5c28a70917499)

List of JIRA tickets resolved in this release can be found with this filter.

The release files, including signatures, digests, etc. can be found at:

Release artifacts are signed with a key from:

The staging repository for this release can be found at:

The documentation corresponding to this release can be found at:


How can I help test this release?

If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking an existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then reporting any regressions.

If you're working in PySpark you can set up a virtual env and install the current RC and see if anything important breaks, in the Java/Scala you can add the staging repository to your projects resolvers and test with the RC (make sure to clean up the artifact cache before/after so you don't end up building with a out of date RC going forward).

What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.1.2?

Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug fixes, documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should be worked on immediately. Everything else please retarget to 2.1.3.

But my bug isn't fixed!??!

In order to make timely releases, we will typically not hold the release unless the bug in question is a regression from 2.1.1. That being said if there is something which is a regression form 2.1.1 that has not been correctly targeted please ping a committer to help target the issue (you can see the open issues listed as impacting Spark 2.1.1 & 2.1.2)

What are the unresolved issues targeted for 2.1.2?

At this time there are no open unresolved issues.

Is there anything different about this release?

This is the first release in awhile not built on the AMPLAB Jenkins. This is good because it means future releases can more easily be built and signed securely (and I've been updating the documentation in https://github.com/apache/spark-website/pull/66 as I progress), however the chances of a mistake are higher with any change like this. If there something you normally take for granted as correct when checking a release, please double check this time :)

Should I be committing code to branch-2.1?

Thanks for asking! Please treat this stage in the RC process as "code freeze" so bug fixes only. If you're uncertain if something should be back ported please reach out. If you do commit to branch-2.1 please tag your JIRA issue fix version for 2.1.3 and if we cut another RC I'll move the 2.1.3 fixed into 2.1.2 as appropriate.

What happened to RC3?

Some R+zinc interactions kept it from getting out the door.

Vaquar Khan
Greater Chicago