Hello Deb,

To optimize non-smooth function on LBFGS really should be considered carefully.
Is there any literature that proves changing max to soft-max can behave well?
I’m more than happy to see some benchmarks if you can have.

+ Yuhao, who did similar effort in this PR: https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/17862

Regards
Yanbo