spark-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Cheung <felixcheun...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Toward an "API" for spark images used by the Kubernetes back-end
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2018 05:54:18 GMT
I like being able to customize the docker image itself - but I realize this thread is more
about “API” for the stock image.

Environment is nice. Probably we need a way to set custom spark config (as a file??)

________________________________
From: Holden Karau <holden@pigscanfly.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 10:44:20 PM
To: Erik Erlandson
Cc: dev
Subject: Re: Toward an "API" for spark images used by the Kubernetes back-end

I’m glad this discussion is happening on dev@ :)

Personally I like customizing with shell env variables during rolling my own image, but definitely
documentation the expectations/usage of the variables is needed before we can really call
it an API.

On the related question I suspect two of the more “common” likely customizations is adding
additional jars for bootstrapping fetching from a DFS & also similarity complicated Python
dependencies (although given the Pythons support isn’t merged yet it’s hard to say what
exactly this would look like).

I could also see some vendors wanting to add some bootstrap/setup scripts to fetch keys or
other things.

What other ways do folks foresee customizing their Spark docker containers?

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 5:04 PM Erik Erlandson <eerlands@redhat.com<mailto:eerlands@redhat.com>>