spark-dev mailing list archives

From José Raúl Pérez Rodríguez <joseraul.w...@gmail.com>
Subject cache OS memory and spark usage of it
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2018 17:27:26 GMT
Hi,

When I issue a "free -m" command in a host, I see a lot of memory used
for cache in OS, however Spark Streaming is not able to request that
memory for its usage, and it fail the execution due to not been able to
launch executors.

What I understand of the OS memory cache (the one in "free -m" command
result) is that, in practice is a free memory, because programs can
request that memory for usage when needed, and OS "gives" the requested
amount to the program. Is that right? If not, what is the behavior of OS
cache? And what can spark do to use this memory?

Thanks a lot,

Raúl