Nick, thanks for raising this.

It looks useful to have something in the DF API that behaves like sub-queries, but I’m not sure that passing a DF works. Making every method accept a DF that may contain matching data seems like it puts a lot of work on the API — which now has to accept a DF all over the place.

What about exposing transforms that make it easy to coerce data to what the method needs? Instead of passing a dataframe, you’d pass df.toSet to isin:

val subQ = spark.sql("select distinct filter_col from source")
val df = table.filter($"col".isin(subQ.toSet))

That also distinguishes between a sub-query and a correlated sub-query that uses values from the outer query. We would still need to come up with syntax for the correlated case, unless there’s a proposal already.

rb