spark-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Cheung <felixcheun...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Revisiting Online serving of Spark models?
Date Thu, 10 May 2018 17:10:13 GMT
Huge +1 on this!

________________________________
From: holden.karau@gmail.com <holden.karau@gmail.com> on behalf of Holden Karau <holden@pigscanfly.ca>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2018 9:39:26 AM
To: Joseph Bradley
Cc: dev
Subject: Re: Revisiting Online serving of Spark models?

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 9:25 AM, Joseph Bradley <joseph@databricks.com<mailto:joseph@databricks.com>>
wrote:
Thanks for bringing this up Holden!  I'm a strong supporter of this.

Awesome! I'm glad other folks think something like this belongs in Spark.
This was one of the original goals for mllib-local: to have local versions of MLlib models
which could be deployed without the big Spark JARs and without a SparkContext or SparkSession.
 There are related commercial offerings like this : ) but the overhead of maintaining those
offerings is pretty high.  Building good APIs within MLlib to avoid copying logic across libraries
will be well worth it.

We've talked about this need at Databricks and have also been syncing with the creators of
MLeap.  It'd be great to get this functionality into Spark itself.  Some thoughts:
* It'd be valuable to have this go beyond adding transform() methods taking a Row to the current
Models.  Instead, it would be ideal to have local, lightweight versions of models in mllib-local,
outside of the main mllib package (for easier deployment with smaller & fewer dependencies).
* Supporting Pipelines is important.  For this, it would be ideal to utilize elements of Spark
SQL, particularly Rows and Types, which could be moved into a local sql package.
* This architecture may require some awkward APIs currently to have model prediction logic
in mllib-local, local model classes in mllib-local, and regular (DataFrame-friendly) model
classes in mllib.  We might find it helpful to break some DeveloperApis in Spark 3.0 to facilitate
this architecture while making it feasible for 3rd party developers to extend MLlib APIs (especially
in Java).
I agree this could be interesting, and feed into the other discussion around when (or if)
we should be considering Spark 3.0
I _think_ we could probably do it with optional traits people could mix in to avoid breaking
the current APIs but I could be wrong on that point.
* It could also be worth discussing local DataFrames.  They might not be as important as per-Row
transformations, but they would be helpful for batching for higher throughput.
That could be interesting as well.

I'll be interested to hear others' thoughts too!

Joseph

On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 7:18 AM, Holden Karau <holden@pigscanfly.ca<mailto:holden@pigscanfly.ca>>