spark-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject LICENSE and NOTICE file content
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2018 03:10:05 GMT
Hi,

We’ve recently had a number of incubating projects copy your LICENSE and NOTICE files as
they see Spark as a popular project and they are a little sad when the IPMC votes -1 on their
releases.

Now I'm not on your PMC, don’t know your projects history and there may be valid reasons
for the current LICENSE and NOTICE contents so take this as some friendly advice, you can
choose to ignore it or not act on it. Looking at your latest source release (2.3.1), I can
see there seems too much information in LICENSE and especially NOTICE for a source release.
It may be that the LICENE and NOTICE is intended for the binary release? [1] But even if that
is teh case it also seems to be missing a couple of licenses for bundled software.

But in general my alarm bells start ringing because:
- Category B licenses are listed (which shouldn't be in a source release)
- License information is listed in NOTICE when it should be in LICENSE
- Dependancies are listed rather than what is actually bundled

Taking a look at the release I can see this 3rd party code bundled:

MIT licensed (some is dual licensed):
	dagre-d3
	datatables
	jquery cookies
	SortTable
	Modernizr
	matchMedia polyfill*
	respond*
	dataTables bootstrap*
	jQuery
	jQuery datatables*
	grap lib-dot
	jquery block UI
	anchorJS
	jsonFormatter

Apache licensed:
	vis.js*
	bootstrap*
	bootstrap-tooltip*
	toposort.py*
	TimSort*
	LimitedInputStream.java*

BSD licensed:
	d3
	cloudpickle
	join*

Python licensed
	heapq3

CC0 licensed:
	./data/mllib/images/kittens/29.5.a_b_EGDP022204.jpg*

* Are currently missing from license

So that would end up with a number of licenses in LICENSE but nothing added to a boiler plate
NOTICE file. The ALv2 licensed items don’t have NOTICE files so there no impact there. I
could of course have missed something and could be wrong for a number of reasons but I cannot
see how the above makes the NOTICE file 667 lines long :-)

I also noticed some compiled code in the source release which probably shouldn’t be there.
[2]
	spark-2.3.1/core/src/test/resources/TestUDTF.jar
	spark-2.3.1/sql/hive/src/test/resources/SPARK-21101-1.0.jar
	spark-2.3.1/sql/hive/src/test/resources/TestUDTF.jar
	spark-2.3.1/sql/hive/src/test/resources/hive-contrib-0.13.1.jar
	spark-2.3.1/sql/hive/src/test/resources/hive-hcatalog-core-0.13.1.jar
	spark-2.3.1/sql/hive/src/test/resources/data/files/TestSerDe.jar
	spark-2.3.1/sql/hive/src/test/resources/regression-test-SPARK-8489/test-2.10.jar
	spark-2.3.1/sql/hive/src/test/resources/regression-test-SPARK-8489/test-2.11.jar
	spark-2.3.1/sql/hive-thriftserver/src/test/resources/TestUDTF.jar

Thanks,
Justin

PS please cc me on replies as I’m not subscribed to your mailing list

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#binary