spark-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: LICENSE and NOTICE file content
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2018 16:33:12 GMT
I am not an official answer person, but IMO, the first question is:  “Is the source for TestSerDe.jar
‘open source’ under an ALv2-compatible license?”.

If “yes”, then supply the source in the source release and not the JAR.  One of the reasons
for “no compiled code in a source release” is that it is very difficult to verify that
compiled code is “correct” and not corrupted, infected with a virus, etc.

If “no”, then treat as a 3rd-party dependency.  Which may mean you can’t use it or need
to treat it as optional, or a runtime dependency.

The related question is:  How do folks modify this JAR?  If it was a JPEG, there are plenty
of JPEG modification tools.  There really aren’t JAR modification tools that modify JARs
internal .class files, you really should use the source files.  I am still surprised/puzzled
by the answer in the thread you linked to.  It still seems in both cases that a “binary”
is being supplied for “convenience”.  IMO, there should be very few, if any, things in
an Apache source repo that are “unmodifiable”.

The “workaround” of renaming the .jar or .class files to something else so it isn’t
seen as executable code seems like it still doesn’t fully meet the spirit of an open source
release, either, but better than shipping executable code in a source package.

On the other hand, I would not hold up a release for an issue like this.  Fix it in some future
release.

My 2 cents,
-Alex