spark-dev mailing list archives

From loicg <loic.ge...@polymtl.ca>
Subject Distributed tracing and Spark
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2019 21:43:24 GMT
Hi all,

I am interested in instrumenting Spark with OpenTracing to get good user
level infirmation about the tasks being executed.

I started doing some work, mainly in TransportClient and
TransportRequestHandler, to start OpenTracing spans when sending an
RpcRequest and finish the spans in a modified callback. I am also able to
propagate the context once by storing Span information into the byte array
that is sent to the server.

However, I am not able to propagate the context further. What happens if the
handler on the server side emits another request and I want to start a new
span that is causally related to the last one? I didn’t find an easy way to
have access to the « parent request » information in the TransportClient. Am
I missing something?

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Loïc