spark-dev mailing list archives

From Matei Zaharia <matei.zaha...@gmail.com>
Subject ASF board report for February
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2019 02:40:28 GMT
It’s time to submit Spark's quarterly ASF board report on February 13th, so I wanted to run
the report by everyone to make sure we’re not missing something. Let me know whether I missed
anything:

----------------

Apache Spark is a fast and general engine for large-scale data processing. It offers high-level
APIs in Java, Scala, Python and R as well as a rich set of libraries including stream processing,
machine learning, and graph analytics.

Project status:

- We released Apache Spark 2.2.3 on January 11th to fix bugs in the 2.2 branch. The community
is also currently voting on a 2.3.3 release to bring recent fixes to the Spark 2.3 branch.

- Discussions are under way about the next feature release, which will likely be Spark 3.0,
on our dev and user mailing lists. Some key questions include whether to remove various deprecated
APIs, and which minimum versions of Java, Python, Scala, etc to support. There are also a
number of new features targeting this release. We encourage everyone in the community to give
feedback on these discussions through our mailing lists or issue tracker.

Trademarks:

- We are continuing engagement with various organizations.

Latest releases:

- Jan 11th, 2019: Spark 2.2.3
- Nov 2nd, 2018: Spark 2.4.0
- Sept 24th, 2018: Spark 2.3.2

Committers and PMC:

- We added Jose Torres as a new committer on January 29th.
- The latest committer was added on January 29th, 2019 (Jose Torres).
- The latest PMC member was added on Jan 12th, 2018 (Xiao Li).