spark-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Vesse <rve...@dotnetrdf.org>
Subject FW: JDK vs JRE in Docker Images
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2019 08:41:37 GMT
    Sean

    Thanks for the pointers.

    Janino specifically says it only requires a JRE - https://janino-compiler.github.io/janino/#requirements

    As for scalac can't find a specific reference anywhere, appears to be self-contained AFAICT

    Rob

    On 17/04/2019, 18:56, "Sean Owen" <srowen@gmail.com> wrote:

        I confess I don't know, but I don't think scalac or janino need javac
        and related tools, and those are the only things that come to mind. If
        the tests pass without a JDK, that's good evidence.

        On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 8:49 AM Rob Vesse <rvesse@dotnetrdf.org> wrote:

        > Folks
        >

        > For those using the Kubernetes support and building custom images are you using
a JDK or a JRE in the container images?

        > Using a JRE saves a reasonable chunk of image size (about 50MB with our preferred
Linux distro) but I didn’t want to make this change if there was a reason to have a JDK
available.  Certainly the official project integration tests run just fine with a JRE based
image

        > Currently the projects official Docker files use openjdk:8-alpine as a base which
includes a full JDK so didn’t know if that was intentional or just convenience?