spark-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JDK vs JRE in Docker Images
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2019 17:29:21 GMT
I confess I don't know, but I don't think scalac or janino need javac
and related tools, and those are the only things that come to mind. If
the tests pass without a JDK, that's good evidence.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 8:49 AM Rob Vesse <rvesse@dotnetrdf.org> wrote:

> Folks
>

> For those using the Kubernetes support and building custom images are you using a JDK
or a JRE in the container images?

> Using a JRE saves a reasonable chunk of image size (about 50MB with our preferred Linux
distro) but I didn’t want to make this change if there was a reason to have a JDK available.
 Certainly the official project integration tests run just fine with a JRE based image

> Currently the projects official Docker files use openjdk:8-alpine as a base which includes
a full JDK so didn’t know if that was intentional or just convenience?