spark-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: I would like to add JDBCDialect to support Vertica database
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2019 14:51:53 GMT
It's probably OK, IMHO. The overhead of another dialect is small. Are
there differences that require a new dialect? I assume so and might
just be useful to summarize them if you open a PR.

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 7:14 AM Bryan Herger
<bryan.herger@microfocus.com> wrote:

> Hi, I am a Vertica support engineer, and we have open support requests around NULL values
and SQL type conversion with DataFrame read/write over JDBC when connecting to a Vertica database.
 The stack traces point to issues with the generic JDBCDialect in Spark-SQL.

> I saw that other vendors (Teradata, DB2...) have contributed a JDBCDialect class to address
JDBC compatibility, so I wrote up a dialect for Vertica.

> The changeset is on my fork of apache/spark at https://github.com/bryanherger/spark/commit/84d3014e4ead18146147cf299e8996c5c56b377d
>
> I have tested this against Vertica 9.3 and found that this changeset addresses both issues
reported to us (issue with NULL values - setNull() - for valid java.sql.Types, and String
to VARCHAR conversion)