spark-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Herger <bryan.her...@microfocus.com>
Subject I would like to add JDBCDialect to support Vertica database
Date Tue, 10 Dec 2019 13:13:48 GMT
Hi, I am a Vertica support engineer, and we have open support requests around NULL values and
SQL type conversion with DataFrame read/write over JDBC when connecting to a Vertica database.
 The stack traces point to issues with the generic JDBCDialect in Spark-SQL.

I saw that other vendors (Teradata, DB2...) have contributed a JDBCDialect class to address
JDBC compatibility, so I wrote up a dialect for Vertica.

The changeset is on my fork of apache/spark at https://github.com/bryanherger/spark/commit/84d3014e4ead18146147cf299e8996c5c56b377d

I have tested this against Vertica 9.3 and found that this changeset addresses both issues
reported to us (issue with NULL values - setNull() - for valid java.sql.Types, and String
to VARCHAR conversion)

Is the an acceptable change?  If so, how should I go about submitting a pull request?

Thanks, Bryan Herger
Vertica Solution Engineer