spark-dev mailing list archives

From Cheng Su <chen...@fb.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Time to evaluate "continuous mode" in SS?
Date Thu, 17 Sep 2020 00:47:29 GMT
I am +1 to take a look and participate in continuous shuffle work, while push-based shuffle
is being added. To be honest, I feel it might be hard to get people’s hard commitment on
this, as it depends on progress of another SPIP, and timeline for discussion/work can be several
months later.

Thanks,
Cheng Su

From: Jungtaek Lim <kabhwan.opensource@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 5:04 PM
To: Joseph Torres <joseph.torres@databricks.com>
Cc: Sean Owen <srowen@gmail.com>, dev <dev@spark.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Time to evaluate "continuous mode" in SS?

Yeah I realized there's a proposal for push-based shuffle, and I agree that may unblock the
architectural issue on true-streaming. (The root concern of the continuous mode has been that
it doesn't fit with the architecture of Spark, and probably push-based shuffle could persuade
me.)

I guess push-based shuffle is not the only blocker to make continuous mode be stateful (all
of the assumptions on microbatch are broken in the mode, like global watermark, distributed
checkpoint without stopping every tasks, etc.), but even just repartitioning (probably easier
to achieve) is still a good improvement for the continuous mode. If someone is promising to
look into the improvement after the push-based shuffle, I agree that is a good reason to keep
continuous mode in place.

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 11:02 PM Joseph Torres <joseph.torres@databricks.com<mailto:joseph.torres@databricks.com>>