spark-user mailing list archives

From David Greco <gr...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Scala 2.10?
Date Thu, 19 Sep 2013 17:20:52 GMT
Hi Spark team,
I totally agree with Paul. Spark it's an amazing tool and there are not real competitors around.
So, I definitely agree on the need to keep a bit more up to date with the Scala world, and
not only Scala 2.10 but also a more recent version of Akka for example.
Anyway, really thanks for the great job you're doing!

David Greco
d.greco@icloud.com
greco@acm.org
d.greco@computer.org
https://github.com/dgreco
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davgreco
Twitter: davidgreco

On Sep 19, 2013, at 7:14 PM, Paul Snively <psnively@icloud.com> wrote:

> Hi team,
>
> Please tell me the 0.8.0 release supports Scala 2.10. :-)
>
> The BDAS stack is very exciting! Unfortunately, lagging the development of the language
itself (2.11 is at Milestone 4!) is increasingly problematic.

> I would also like to encourage the Spark Streaming developers to head in the direction
of making DStream conform to the Scala and Java collections APIs. A possible model to emulate
here is Kafka's KafkaStream, which satisfies both Scala's and Java's Iterable interfaces,
making their effective use considerably more straightforward than, frankly, DStreams are at
the moment. Please also consider OOB support for Play! iteratees, which, as of the Play! 2.2.x
releases, are a nicely-separate module from the rest of Play!

> Lest this sound like all complaints, I'm asking for this because I expect to use BDAS
for many years due to the lack of realistic competition (I've already explained in-house why
Summingbird isn't it) :-) and because I'm lazy. Please keep up the excellent work, and I hope
to make one of the Meetups next time I'm in the neighborhood.