spark-user mailing list archives

From Philip Ogren <philip.og...@oracle.com>
Subject unable to serialize analytics pipeline
Date Tue, 22 Oct 2013 17:50:10 GMT

I have a text analytics pipeline that performs a sequence of steps (e.g.
tokenization, part-of-speech tagging, etc.) on a line of text.  I have
wrapped the whole pipeline up into a simple interface that allows me to
call it from Scala as a POJO - i.e. I instantiate the pipeline, I pass
it a string, and get back some objects.  Now, I would like to do the
same thing for items in a Spark RDD via a map transformation.
Unfortunately, my pipeline is not serializable and so I get a
NotSerializableException when I try this.  I played around with Kryo
just now to see if that could help and I ended up with a "missing no-arg
constructor" exception on a class I have no control over.  It seems the
Spark framework expects that I should be able to serialize my pipeline
when I can't (or at least don't think I can at first glance.)

Is there a workaround for this scenario?  I am imagining a few possible
solutions that seem a bit dubious to me, so I thought I would ask for
direction before wandering about.  Perhaps a better understanding of
serialization strategies might help me get the pipeline to serialize.
Or perhaps there is a way to instantiate my pipeline on demand on the
nodes through a factory call.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Philip