spark-user mailing list archives

From Ameet Kini <ameetk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: examples of map-side join of two hadoop sequence files
Date Mon, 21 Oct 2013 15:16:44 GMT
Right, except both my sequence files are large and so doing a "collect()"
and then broadcasting one of them would be costly. Since I have two large
sorted sequence files with a one-to-one relationship among the keys, I need
to perform the "merge" portion of a good old "sort-merge" join. And it is
actually a very simple merge, since each key is unique within the file.

I was looking at the mapPartitions API:
def  mapPartitions[U](f: (Iterator[T]) => Iterator[U], preservesPartitioning:
Boolean)(implicit arg0: ClassManifest[U]):
RDD<http://spark.incubator.apache.org/docs/latest/api/core/org/apache/spark/rdd/RDD.html>
[U]

If somehow the function f has access to the underlying partition
information (e.g., HadoopPartition.inputSplit), then it could open a reader
on the actual hdfs file corresponding to that inputSplit, and manually do
the join. But looks like HadoopPartition is declared private. Is there some
other way to figure out which underlying HDFS file corresponds to the
partition being iterated upon in mapPartitions?

Ameet