spark-user mailing list archives

From Walrus theCat <walrusthe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: cluster hangs for no apparent reason
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2013 21:26:52 GMT
Shangyu,

Thanks for the tip re: the flag!  Maybe the broadcast variable is only for
"complex" data structures?

On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 7:58 PM, Shangyu Luo <lsyurd@gmail.com> wrote:

> I met the problem of 'Too many open files' before. One solution is adding
> 'ulimit -n 100000' in the spark-env.sh file.
> Basically, I think the local variable may not be a problem as I have
> written programs with local variables as parameters for functions and the
> programs work.
>

> 2013/11/3 Walrus theCat <walrusthecat@gmail.com>
>
>> Hi Shangyu,
>>
>> I appreciate your ongoing correspondence.  To clarify, my solution didn't
>> work, and I didn't expect it to. I was digging through the logs, and I
>> found a series of exceptions (in only one of the workers):
>>
>> 13/11/03 17:51:05 INFO client.DefaultHttpClient: Retrying connect
>> 13/11/03 17:51:05 INFO http.AmazonHttpClient: Unable to execute HTTP request: Too
many open files
>> java.net.SocketException: Too many open files
>> at com.amazonaws.services.s3.AmazonS3Client.getObject(AmazonS3Client.java:808)
>>
>> I don't know why, because I do close those streams, but I'll look into it.
>>

>> As an aside, I make references to a spark.util.Vector from a parallelized context
(in an RDD.map operation), as per the Logistic Regression example that Spark came with, and
it seems to work out (the following from the examples, you'll see that 'w' is not a broadcast
variable, and 'points' is an RDD):

>>     var w = Vector(D, _ => 2 * rand.nextDouble - 1)
>>     println("Initial w: " + w)
>>
>>     for (i <- 1 to ITERATIONS) {
>>       println("On iteration " + i)
>>       val gradient = points.map { p =>
>>

>>         (1 / (1 + exp(-p.y * (w dot p.x))) - 1) * p.y * p.x
>>       }.reduce(_ + _)
>>       w -= gradient
>>     }
>>

>> On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Shangyu Luo <lsyurd@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Walrus,
>>> Thank you for sharing your solution to your problem. I think I have met
>>> the similar problem before (i.e., one machine is working while others are
>>> idle.) and I just waits for a long time and the program will continue
>>> processing. I am not sure how your program filters an RDD by a locally
>>> stored set. If the set is a parameter of a function, I assume it should be
>>> copied to all worker nodes. But it is good that you solved your problem
>>> with a broadcast variable and the running time seems reasonable!

Set(Stage
Set(Stage
Set()