maybe the best way is to follow the documentation which is written quite nicely.

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM, Sudarshan Kadambi (BLOOMBERG/ 731 LEXIN) <skadambi@bloomberg.net> wrote:
That matches what I'm looking for. I haven't worked with Scala before - would you mind telling me how do I build and execute that test case? Thx.

there is an example incubator-spark\examples\src\main\scala\org\apache\spark\examples\HBaseTest.scala which might be useful.