spark-user mailing list archives

From Tobias Pfeiffer <...@preferred.jp>
Subject Re: A single build.sbt file to start Spark REPL?
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2014 01:33:44 GMT
Hi,

I guess it should be possible to dig through the scripts
bin/spark-shell, bin/spark-submit etc. and convert them to a long sbt
command that you can run. I just tried

  sbt "run-main org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmit spark-shell
--class org.apache.spark.repl.Main"

but that fails with

Failed to initialize compiler: object scala.runtime in compiler mirror
not found.
** Note that as of 2.8 scala does not assume use of the java classpath.
** For the old behavior pass -usejavacp to scala, or if using a Settings
** object programatically, settings.usejavacp.value = true.

Would be happy to learn about a way to do that, too.

Tobias

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Alexy Khrabrov <alexy@scalable.pro> wrote:
> The usual way to use Spark with SBT is to package a Spark project using sbt package (e.g.
per Quick Start) and submit it to Spark using the bin/ scripts from Sark distribution.  For
plain Scala project, you don’t need to download anything, you can just get a build.sbt file
with dependencies and e.g. say “console” which will start a Scala REPL with the dependencies
on the class path.  Is there a way to avoid downloading Spark tarball completely, by defining
the spark-core dependency in build.sbt, and using `run` or `console` to invoke Spark REPL
from sbt?  I.e. the goal is: create a single build.sbt file, such that if you run sbt in its
directory, and then say run/console (with optional parameters), it will download all Spark
dependencies and start the REPL.  Should work on a fresh machine where Spark tarball had never
been untarred.