spark-user mailing list archives

From Aaron Davidson <ilike...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "Spilling in-memory..." messages in log even with MEMORY_ONLY
Date Sun, 27 Jul 2014 17:54:41 GMT
I see. There should not be a significant algorithmic difference between
those two cases, as far as I can think, but there is a good bit of
"local-mode-only" logic in Spark.

One typical problem we see on large-heap, many-core JVMs, though, is much
more time spent in garbage collection. I'm not sure how oprofile gathers
its statistics, but it's possible the stop-the-world pauses just appear as
pausing inside regular methods. You could see if this is happening by
adding "-XX:+PrintGCDetails" to spark.executor.extraJavaOptions (in
spark-defaults.conf) and --driver-java-options (as a command-line
argument), and then examining the stdout logs.