spark-user mailing list archives

From <santosh.viswanat...@accenture.com>
Subject RE: Comparative study
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2014 20:06:45 GMT
Thanks Daniel for sharing this info.

Regards,
Santosh Karthikeyan

From: Daniel Siegmann [mailto:daniel.siegmann@velos.io]
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 1:10 AM
To: user@spark.apache.org
Subject: Re: Comparative study

From a development perspective, I vastly prefer Spark to MapReduce. The MapReduce API is very
constrained; Spark's API feels much more natural to me. Testing and local development is also
very easy - creating a local Spark context is trivial and it reads local files. For your unit
tests you can just have them create a local context and execute your flow with some test data.
Even better, you can do ad-hoc work in the Spark shell and if you want that in your production
code it will look exactly the same.
Unfortunately, the picture isn't so rosy when it gets to production. In my experience, Spark
simply doesn't scale to the volumes that MapReduce will handle. Not with a Standalone cluster
anyway - maybe Mesos or YARN would be better, but I haven't had the opportunity to try them.
I find jobs tend to just hang forever for no apparent reason on large data sets (but smaller
than what I push through MapReduce).
I am hopeful the situation will improve - Spark is developing quickly - but if you have large
amounts of data you should proceed with caution.
Keep in mind there are some frameworks for Hadoop which can hide the ugly MapReduce with something
very similar in form to Spark's API; e.g. Apache Crunch. So you might consider those as well.
(Note: the above is with Spark 1.0.0.)

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 11:07 AM, <santosh.viswanathan@accenture.com<mailto:santosh.viswanathan@accenture.com>>