Hi Sean,
Thanks for the quick reply. I moved to an sbt-based build and I was able to build the project successfully.

In my /apps/sameert/software/approxstrmatch I see the following:

jar -tf target/scala-2.10/approxstrmatch_2.10-1.0.jar
META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
approxstrmatch/
approxstrmatch/MyRegistrator.class
approxstrmatch/JaccardScore$$anonfun$calculateJaccardScore$1.class
approxstrmatch/JaccardScore$$anonfun$calculateAnotatedJaccardScore$1.class
approxstrmatch/JaccardScore$$anonfun$calculateSortedJaccardScore$1$$anonfun$4.class
approxstrmatch/JaccardScore$$anon$1.class
approxstrmatch/JaccardScore$$anonfun$calculateSortedJaccardScore$1$$anonfun$3.class
approxstrmatch/JaccardScore$$anonfun$calculateSortedJaccardScore$1.class
approxstrmatch/JaccardScore$$anonfun$calculateAnotatedJaccardScore$1$$anonfun$2.class
approxstrmatch/JaccardScore.class
approxstrmatch/JaccardScore$$anonfun$calculateSortedJaccardScore$1$$anonfun$5.class
approxstrmatch/JaccardScore$$anonfun$calculateJaccardScore$1$$anonfun$1.class

However, when I start my spark shell:

spark-shell --jars /apps/sameert/software/secondstring/secondstring/dist/lib/secondstring-20140723.jar /apps/sameert/software/approxstrmatch/target/scala-2.10/approxstrmatch_2.10-1.0.jar

I type the following interactively, I get error, not sure what I am missing now. This used to work before.

val srcFile = sc.textFile("hdfs://ipaddr:8020/user/sameert/approxstrmatch/target-sentences.csv")
val distFile = sc.textFile("hdfs://ipaddr:8020/user/sameert/approxstrmatch/sameer_sentence_filter.tsv")
val score = new approxstrmatch.JaccardScore()
error: not found: value approxstrmatch