spark-user mailing list archives

From "Addanki, Santosh Kumar" <santosh.kumar.adda...@sap.com>
Subject RE: SchemaRDD and RegisterAsTable
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2014 06:00:10 GMT
Hi Denny

Thanks for the reply. I have tried the same and seems to work.

I had a quick question though.I have configured to use Hive Metastore (MySql).

When I connect against the Thrift Server using hive it seems to schedule Map Reduce job when
I query against the table. When I run the same using beeline it seems to use the Spark Context
to execute .

Is this correct or something wrong with my setup?

My Understanding was that the Thrift Server was just a HIVEQL frontend and the undelying
query execution would be done by SPARK .

Regards
Santosh

From: Denny Lee [mailto:denny.g.lee@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 10:14 PM
To: user@spark.apache.org; Addanki, Santosh Kumar
Subject: Re: SchemaRDD and RegisterAsTable

The registered table is stored within the spark context itself.  To have the table available
for the thrift server to get access to, you can save the sc table into the Hive context so
that way the Thrift server process can see the table.  If you are using derby as your metastore,
then the thrift server should be accessing this as you would want to utilize the same hive
configuration (i.e. hive-site.xml).  You may want to migrate your metastore to MySQL or Postgres
as it will be handle concurrency better than derby.

HTH!
Denny

On September 17, 2014 at 21:47:50, Addanki, Santosh Kumar (santosh.kumar.addanki@sap.com<mailto:santosh.kumar.addanki@sap.com>)