spark-user mailing list archives

From Xuefeng Wu <ben...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Alternatives to groupByKey
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2014 23:34:54 GMT
I have similar requirememt,take top N by key. right now I use groupByKey,but one key would
group more than half data in some dataset.

Yours, Xuefeng Wu 吴雪峰 敬上

> On 2014年12月4日, at 上午7:26, Nathan Kronenfeld <nkronenfeld@oculusinfo.com>
wrote:

> I think it would depend on the type and amount of information you're collecting.
>
> If you're just trying to collect small numbers for each window, and don't have an overwhelming
number of windows, you might consider using accumulators.  Just make one per value per time
window, and for each data point, add it to the accumulators for the time windows in which
it belongs.  We've found this approach a lot faster than anything involving a shuffle.  This
should work fine for stuff like max(), min(), and mean()

> If you're collecting enough data that accumulators are impractical, I think I would try
multiple passes.  Cache your data, and for each pass, filter to that window, and perform all
your operations on the filtered RDD.  Because of the caching, it won't be significantly slower
than processing it all at once - in fact, it will probably be a lot faster, because the shuffles
are shuffling less information.  This is similar to what you're suggesting about partitioning
your rdd, but probably simpler and easier.

> That being said, your restriction 3 seems to be in contradiction to the rest of your
request - if your aggregation needs to be able to look at all the data at once, then that
seems contradictory to viewing the data through an RDD.  Could you explain a bit more what
you mean by that?