spark-user mailing list archives

From Saurabh Agrawal <saurabh.agra...@markit.com>
Subject Calling ALS-MlLib from desktop application/ Training ALS
Date Sun, 14 Dec 2014 03:17:07 GMT

Requesting guidance on my queries in trail email.

-----Original Message-----
From: Saurabh Agrawal
Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2014 07:06 PM GMT Standard Time
To: user@spark.apache.org
Subject: Building Desktop application for ALS-MlLib/ Training ALS

Hi,

I am a new bee in spark and scala world

I have been trying to implement Collaborative filtering using MlLib supplied out of the box
with Spark and Scala

I have 2 problems

1.       The best model was trained with rank = 20 and lambda = 5.0, and numIter = 10, and
its RMSE on the test set is 25.718710831912485. The best model improves the baseline by 18.29%.
Is there a scientific way in which RMSE could be brought down? What is a descent acceptable
value for RMSE?

2.       I picked up the Collaborative filtering algorithm from http://ampcamp.berkeley.edu/5/exercises/movie-recommendation-with-mllib.html
and executed the given code with my dataset. Now, I want to build a desktop application around
it.

a.       What is the best language to do this Java/ Scala? Any possibility to do this using
C#?

b.      Can somebody please share any relevant documents/ source or any helper links to help
me get started on this?

Your help is greatly appreciated

Thanks!!

Regards,

Saurabh Agrawal

This e-mail, including accompanying communications and attachments, is strictly confidential
and only for the intended recipient. Any retention, use or disclosure not expressly authorised
by Markit is prohibited. This email is subject to all waivers and other terms at the following
link: http://www.markit.com/en/about/legal/email-disclaimer.page

Please visit http://www.markit.com/en/about/contact/contact-us.page? for contact information
on our offices worldwide.

MarkitSERV Limited has its registered office located at Level 4, Ropemaker Place, 25 Ropemaker
Street, London, EC2Y 9LY and is authorized and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority
with registration number 207294