spark-user mailing list archives

From "Venkat, Ankam" <Ankam.Ven...@centurylink.com>
Subject RE: MLlib vs Madlib
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2014 00:07:07 GMT
Thanks for the info Brian.

I am trying to compare performance difference between "Pivotal HAWQ/Greenplum with MADlib"
vs "HDFS with MLlib".

Do you think Spark MLlib will perform better because of in-memory, caching and iterative processing
capabilities?

I need to perform large scale text analytics and I can data store on HDFS or on Pivotal Greenplum/Hawq.

Regards,
Venkat Ankam

From: Brian Dolan [mailto:buddha_314@yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2014 10:02 AM
To: Venkat, Ankam
Cc: 'user@spark.apache.org'
Subject: Re: MLlib vs Madlib

MADLib (http://madlib.net/) was designed to bring large-scale ML techniques to a relational
database, primarily postgresql.  MLlib assumes the data exists in some Spark-compatible data
format.

I would suggest you pick the library that matches your data platform first.

DISCLAIMER: I am the original author of MADLib, though EMC/Pivotal assumed ownership rather
quickly.

~~~~~~
May All Your Sequences Converge

On Dec 14, 2014, at 6:26 AM, "Venkat, Ankam" <Ankam.Venkat@centurylink.com<mailto:Ankam.Venkat@centurylink.com>>