spark-user mailing list archives

From philpearl <p...@tanktop.tv>
Subject Re: Scala vs Python performance differences
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2015 15:38:53 GMT
I was interested in this as I had some Spark code in Python that was too slow
and wanted to know whether Scala would fix it for me.  So I re-wrote my code
in Scala.

In my particular case the Scala version was 10 times faster.  But I think
that is because I did an awful lot of computation in my own code rather than
in a library like numpy. (I put a bit more detail  here
<http://tttv-engineering.tumblr.com/post/108260351966/spark-python-vs-scala>
in case you are interested)

So there's one data point, if only for the obvious data point comparing
computations in Scala to computations in pure Python.